Friday, December 27, 2013

Novak hires ‘Boom Boom’ Becker…Okay, but why?

It’s nice that ATP World Tour No. 2 Novak Djokovic has hired all-time great Boris Becker to help him get over whatever demons are plaguing him after losing to Rafael Nadal in two of last season’s four majors.

My only question for the clearly gifted and extremely versatile Djokovic is…why?

"He is a true legend, someone who has great tennis knowledge and his experience will help me win new trophies from the Grand Slams and other tournaments," Djokovic said in a statement. "Becker is a great person, too, and I am sure he will fit in our team in the best possible way."

The 46-year-old Becker, a six-time Grand Slam champion, will travel with Djokovic and other coaches to tournaments, including next month's Australian Open.

Why hire a guy that has both, never coached the game before, particularly when you’ve already won six grand slam titles?

For his part, Becker says he’s more than ready to take on his latest challenge.

"I will do my best to help him reach his goals, and I am sure we can achieve great things together," said Becker, who became the youngest man to win Wimbledon when he was 17 in 1985.

Don’t get me wrong, I can surmise Djokovic made the hire most likely because he lost a bit of his mojo a year ago, particularly against Nadal, but the fact of the matter is that it wasn’t very long ago that Djoker pretty much owned Rafa – and everyone else – en route to a season for the ages.

Besides, it’s not like 2013 was a total loss. Djokovic won his fourth Australian Open title last year and finished the 2013 season ranked No. 2 behind Nadal. Djokovic also already has an unbelievably gifted staff that includes coach Marian Vajda, Miljan Amanovic and Gebhard Phil-Gritsch. Surprisingly, Vajda, who has been working with Djokovic since 2006, said the Serb needed a new head coach to continue improving.

"Becker's assignment will not affect much my position in the team, since I will do all I can for Novak, just like I did before," Vajda said. "On the other hand, choosing Boris as the head coach is a good solution, I am sure we will get along very well, and that Novak will continue to progress."

Once again Eye on Sports readers, I don’t really get what Becker is supposed to add to Djokovic’s already well-rounded game, but hey, if it helps one of the game’s most personable players win at least one more grand slam than he did in 2013, I guess it was worth adding a little Boom Boom even if it was mostly as a morale boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment