Saturday, December 28, 2013

Federer enlists assistance of legendary Edberg!

Roger Federer (L), and Stefan Edberg.
Whether you agree that Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player of all-time or not (I do), one thing all sports fans can agree upon is that there is not a classier athlete on the face of the planet today.

Having said that…tennis fans everywhere should know that ‘Camp Federer’ just got a tad more sophisticated thanks to the part-time addition of legendary six-time grand slam winner Stefan Edberg, Federer’s acknowledged boyhood idol.

The former Swedish superstar says he was surprised to receive a call from Federer, an even bigger legend in his own right while adding that the all-time slam leader was the only player he make a return to the game for.

"I was very surprised (that Federer asked) because it's so long since I left tennis," he said.

"But I was also very flattered. I've never really thought about coaching and if it had not been Federer doing the asking, honestly, I would not have been interested."

Edberg has already worked with Federer a few days this month at his pseudo-home base in Dubai.

"The idea of the camp was that I would give my views and come up with some feedback. He wants to try some new things," said the serve-and-volley king.

Edberg admitted that he advised Federer to try and end points quicker against the likes of younger superstar baseliners like Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic while also adding that he believes Federer can win more majors before he retires.

"Of course I have some comments as to what needs to change and evolve, but it's not the done thing that I sit here and talk about it," he said. "I think he will be coming back. He's a great player and all the pieces are in place, he can definitely win some more grand slam titles."


Personally, I think Federer has made a very intelligent move in seeking some assistance from one of the game’s great serve and volley masters and that any time any athlete is trying new things in order to improve by even the slightest margin – that is most assuredly a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment