Monday, August 20, 2012

For Pete’s sake….It’s about time!

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll
was smart to take a chance on  Terrell Owens.

For Pete’s sake…I always say, that it’s a damn shame how some people get multiple chances to get their act together while others get one shot to prove their worth and that’s it  buddy.

Whether it’s fair or not, I’ll leave that up to my Eye On Sports readers to decide, but I’m just going to say it was an absolute disgrace that veteran NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens was forced to sit out last season as NFL teams around the league colluded on deciding not to bring in the electrifying, but often enigmatic Owens.

While some folks will say that Owens made his bed by burning bridges in San Francisco, Philadelphia and Dallas among other places, I thought Owens had done an excellent job in proving he’d changed his selfish me-first ways n both of his last two NFL stops.

Terrell Owens.
The fact of the matter is that Owens should never have been out of football last season after his knee surgery, based on the fact that he had been mostly a model citizen with the Bills and Bengals.

Unfortunately, a lot of NFL coaches and GM’s let Owens’ past cloud their judgment despite the fact that the now, 38-year-old still has plenty of ‘game’ left in his 21-year-old-like body.

Still, as I always say…one man’s trash is another man’s treasure – and apparently Pete Carroll is a whole lot smarter – and forgiving – than a lot of other NFL people.

I know we’re living in a me-first world where people don’t have a whole lot of forgiveness for others’ past indiscretions, but again, Terrell Owens isn’t a club-hopping, gun-toting thug – and he’s never done anything off-field to cause harm to anyone other than maybe himself.

Sure, his locker room nonsense alienated him from a lot of folks, but one thing no one can say about T.O. is that he doesn’t come to play each and every Sunday.

Besides, people do grow up and change (I’m living proof of that) even if others will always view them as the selfish, uncaring and mostly idiotic, 21-year-olds they once were. Women all over the globe already know that most men mature a lot as they move further into their 30s and early 40s and apparently Owens is no different. We’ve all made mistakes in our youth that, hopefully they haven’t been lifelong mistakes. Terrell Owens is no different people, no matter what some NFL personnel men would have you believe.

In closing, let me just say that if you show me one person that hasn’t made a single mistake in their lives – and I’ll show you Jesus Christ!

What are your thoughts Eye On Sports fans?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:12 AM

    Eric Williams of the News Tribune?? Doesn't sound like the same Eric. I don't think it was "collusion" that lead to Owens not playing last year. Like communism, it's a good idea but not realistic. Im glad they gave him a shot, he's looked great in the practices I've been to (about 8) just needs more reps. His chances of making this team are 60-40 IMO. 60% he makes it. #12thMan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:22 AM

    I hope TO is the comeback player of the year.

    ReplyDelete