Monday, May 07, 2012

R.I.P Junior Seau


          Former NFL linebacker junior Seau was a one-of-a-kind 
          player - and person - according to those that knew him best.

I don’t know whether or not Junior Seau’s suicide has anything to do with all of the years he played football or not, but what I do know is that he will be severely missed by millions of folks across the country, including the Eye On Sports staff of one.

Seau was truly an elite, Hall of Fame linebacker on the field and a gentle giant off of it, despite the alleged demons he faced in his personal life.

It is not my place – or anyone else’s for that matter – to judge how another person did or did not live their personal life and I have nothing but sympathy and compassion in my heart for Seau and both, his immediate and extended family members.

In closing, let me just say that should it turn out that Seau’s suicide was fueled by degenerative brain issues caused from playing in the NFL, the league had better start installing even more protective player rule changes, whether hard core fans like myself like them or not. 

Last but not least, I’ve got to share one of my favorite sports memories of all-time. One of the best signs I ever saw at any professional sporting event came one day when the San Diego Chargers were playing some opponent that I can’t remember any longer when I saw a sign that read, ‘Junior Makes You Say Ow!’.

Needless to say, not only was it a clever play on his last name, but more importantly, it was absolutely true…Junior did make opponents say ow!

No comments:

Post a Comment