Friday, April 21, 2006

10 Greatest Sports Movies of all-time


10 Greatest Sports Movies of all-time
By Eric Williams
Although I must admit I’m not the biggest movie buff in the world (I’ll leave that to my wife and mother-in-law) I am a sports columnist and life long sports junkie who has seen more than his share of movies, both good and bad. However, when it comes to selecting the greatest sports movies to ever be made, I like to think I’m as knowledgeable as anyone out there.
Whatever the case, I have compiled my top 10 sports movies of all-time. In order, here they are.
Rocky (1976)
What do you expect from a Philadelphian? This exceptional flick had it all. Struggles, tragedy and finally, triumph. A young Sylvester Stallone was at his very best in his first starring role in a full-length feature film. Who can ever forget Stallone and his famous “Adrian, Adrian” line? This boxing film, which has stood the test of time, was such a gem that it spurred Stallone to star in four subsequent Rocky sequels.
Remember the Titans (2000)
I’m not sure how many people consider this movie one of the greatest sports movies of all-time but for me, this movie was an instant classic from the moment I first saw it. Denzel Washington leads a talented cast through this film and while Washington’s sar power is always evident, it was actually the actors in this film and the storyline – which is based on a true story – that made this film extremely believable and touching. This is a special film that has something for everyone.
Brian’s Song (1971)
Speaking of touching films, this movie is definitely one of the most stirring films ever made. The true-life story of two men from two different backgrounds and upbringings who became the best of friends in a time when race-relations were quite different from what they are now. James Caan and Billy Dee Williams are spectacular in this must-see film that demands a full box of Kleenex be present at all times.
Hoosiers (1986)
The cast, scenery and storyline are all excellent in this true-life tale of one tiny basketball team taking on the Goliath of their high school basketball universe. Gene Hackman – one of my favorite actors ever – is absolutely masterful in this film whose reality is nothing short of spectacular.
Hoop Dreams (1994)
I won’t go into how good Hoop Dreams was at length because if I did, I would never get finished writing this column. However, I will say that this documentary is unquestionably unforgettable. Being as though this film was based on actual events and real people made this film an instant classic.
Caddyshack (1980)
Not only is this film one of the funniest comedies of all-time, but also one of the greatest sports films ever, making this film a doubly good treat. Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray make this movie a laugh-a-minute riot that everyone should own.



The Natural
Although I’ve never been a huge Robert Redford fan, I must admit that he was absolutely masterful in this powerful film that is one of the three best baseball films ever made. The authenticity was absolutely outstanding in this film.
Field of Dreams
Being a huge Kevin Costner fan only served to make this film more enjoyable for me. However, Costner isn’t the only reason that this film makes my top 10 list. The original storyline and performances of Costner’s cast mates combined to make this film an instant classic.
Raging Bull
Many people think this film is in the top three of all-time. Having seen this movie several times, I must agree that this film is an absolute masterpiece. However, when it comes to boxing flicks, I’m an unabashed Rocky guy.
Bull Durham
Bull Durham is considered by many to be the greatest baseball film of all-time, and while I enjoyed both, Field of Dreams and The Natural more, Bull Durham is an awesome movie that was laced with fine performances, direction and a original storyline.
Eric Williams is a sports columnist for the Philadelphia Sunday Sun who can be heard every Wednesday at 3:18 eastern on BetUSradio.com. Contact Eric at eklass66@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment