Thursday, December 22, 2011

Take ‘Em to the ‘Hood!

You know, I’ve been periodically reading about the rampant racism in Europe’s myriad soccer leagues for nearly two years now and as a man of color, I have to say, I am sickened to know that race relations are about a century behind once you cross the big pond.

Earlier this week, for the first time in the lengthy history of English soccer, a footballer is being prosecuted over racially-demeaning words spoken on the pitch.

That’s right soccer lovers of all ages, races and nationalities, prosecutors in England said on Wednesday that John Terry, one of the country's most famous soccer stars, abused an opponent with racially explosive comments during an October match.

While the most Terry faces is a fine of about $4,000 U.S. dollars, I say forget about fining this backwoods idiot – because if it were up to me, I’d take his ass to the hood for a day and then see how much shiznit he has to say to some of the ‘brothers’ I know and grew up with (well, at least those who aren’t locked up).

While Terry is the latest European soccer player to make headlines for racially-motivated news, he’s certainly not the first.

On Tuesday of this week, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez received an eight-match ban and 40,000-pound ($62,000) fine from England's Football Association for racially abusing a Manchester United player during another match in October.

Again, maybe it’s just me, but I’m thinking I’d like to get both of these guys alone in a room full of my ‘homies’ and then see just how they feel about people of color.

Oh, and in the case of the Uruguayan-born Suarez, I’ve got a special place of contempt for one brown man that hates on another darker skinned brown man.

This fool apparently hasn’t been to Arizona – where his ass would be green-carded the moment he stepped on the street for being a bit too brown – and looking to much like a possibly illegale immigrant from neighboring Mexico.

I know violence is never the answer to solving a problem, especially a long-standing one like racism, but I know laying an as ass-kicking on either one of these fools would make me feel a lot better. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment