Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A time to teach… and a time to learn!


This past weekend, I had a chance to 
teach - and learn!

You know Eye On Sports readers; there is always a chance to teach, even when you don’t know it. For example, this past weekend, as I sat down watching the aftermath of Chicago Bulls’ point guard Derrick Rose’s season-ending ACL injury with my nine-year-old son Emmanuel, I got an excellent chance to teach.

After explaining what an ACL injury was and the length of time and rehabilitation it takes to get healthy again, my son (who know I don’t like the Miami Heat very much) says, ‘I wish that would happen to LeBron James”.

As I turned toward my son stunned, I immediately told him, “don’t say that” and then proceeded to explain why, as an athlete, you never wish an injury on an opponent.

Immediately thereafter, I asked my son if he understood, and he replied “yes, I do”. I then asked if he wanted to beat the ‘other team’ when they were at ‘their best’ and I got another “yes”, Finally, I asked my wonderful son if he wanted to see LeBron James injured or any other Miami Heat player and he responded with another “no”.

Last but not least, I also told my son that, while I am certainly not the world’ biggest LeBron James fan, I really, really admired, the still youthful, James and vehemently would to anyone that said otherwise, for the way he has carried himself off the court ever since he came into the NBA.

I explained how James had never been in any trouble with the law whatsoever, how he didn’t ‘hang at the clubs’ until the wee hours of the early mornings, frivolously throw away his vast earnings, or live some wild  and dangerous lifestyle, to which my surprised son shook his head in understanding and agreement.

Oh, and just so you know Eye On Sports fans, I also took the moment as an opportunity to be taught … that I need to be careful with how much I say I ‘dislike’ a certain team or player in the presence of a child, particularly when that individual has been a genuine role model in every facet of their non-athletic life.

No comments:

Post a Comment