Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Still no one finer than Brittney Griner!

Baylor superstar Brittney throws 
down a one-handed jam against Florida.
Okay Eye On Sports followers, I know athletically gifted Baylor center Brittney Griner stands a whopping 6-8 while I’m just 5-7, not to mention the fact that I’m married, but I just love me some Brittney Griner!

First and foremost, not only is the best female basketball player in the nation one of the nicest young women you’ll ever meet, but I love Griner’s commitment to dedication and hard work, which has paid off in a big way ever since she set foot on the blossoming Baylor campus as a talented but raw freshman just over three years ago.

On Tuesday night, Griner put on another show in front of a nationally-televised audience when she threw down a sweet right-handed jam that earned her the distinction of being just the second woman to dunk in an NCAA tournament game.

Griner finished the night with a solid 25 points on 8 of 14 shooting from the field while draining nine of 10 free throws to lead Baylor to a convincing 76-57 win over ninth-seeded Florida.

Former Tennessee Volunteers superstar Candace Parker threw down two jams in a 2006 NCAA tourney game against Army back in 2006. Griner's dunk was her first of the season and sixth of her career. Parker holds the career record with seven jams.

"I think my team got fired up a little bit more than me. I got a little bit more fired up, I think, on one of the blocks I had," Griner said. "But it definitely felt good throwing it down."

Griner finished seventh in the country in scoring this season (23.1 ppg) while pulling down 9.2 rebounds per game and blocking an unprecedented 5.1 shots per game (first) and draining a blistering 61.4 percent of her field goal attempts (second).

Height differential – and marriage – notwithstanding, I’m still professing my love for Brittney Griner – even if it is mostly because she’s the No. 1 female basketball player in the game today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment