Monday, February 06, 2012

Manningham’s Da’ Man!

 Giants' wide receiver Mario 
Manningham made a likely, 
game-saving catch late in the fourth quarter.

Four years ago, it was David Tyree making the catch of a lifetime to help the New York Giants beat the New England Patriots 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII in one of the most thrilling Super Bowl contests in recent memory.

Manningham's catch will be
remembered for years to come.
On Sunday night, it was Mario Manningham playing the role of ‘Super Mario’ in making a huge, likely, game-saving 38-yard catch that came with 3:39 left in the fourth quarter and the Giants facing a two-point deficit on their own 12 yard-line, trailing by two points.

Quarterback Eli Manning threading the needle between two defenders to find Manningham deep along the left sideline and complete a play that turned out to be the longest play in Super Bowl XLVI.

"I knew I had to freeze my feet when the ball touched my fingertips," Manningham said. "Wherever I was at when the ball hit my fingertips, I just froze my feet and fell. I knew I was either going to get hit or hit the ground. I knew something was going to happen, but I knew that I couldn't let that ball go."

Manningham didn’t let go of the ball and now, he and his improbable catch are both a part of NFL Super Bowl lore.

"Words can't explain this,"  Manningham said. "Thank God I had great footwork and thank God for Eli's arm."



No comments:

Post a Comment