Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tim Thomas is an Idiot!

While I certainly respect Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas’ decision not to attend the White House ceremony honoring the reigning Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins almost two weeks ago, I don’t have to agree with it – and I certainly don’t.

The Stanley Cup champion Bruins were all on hand - except for the team's lone American, goalie Tim Thomas. The  reigning Vezina Trophy winner elected to stay at home as a sign of protest against both ruling parties of the federal government.
Yes, while it is Thomas’ right to not attend any function he so chooses not to, it’s not everyday that you can tell your children or grandchildren that you shook hands with the President of the United States, whether you like the state of the country or not.

Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas.
I like what Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said during his monthly "Ask the Governor" program on WTKK-FM when asked about the controversial topic.

"He's a phenomenal hockey player and he's entitled to his views," Patrick said. "It just feels like we are losing in this country basic courtesy and grace.”

Philadelphia Flyers winger Scott Hartnell’s thoughts echoed mine.

"I'm not a big political guy or whatever but for me it's a team event and should be an honor to be in the White House no matter what your political views are," Hartnell said. "It would've been the right thing to do to go there and enjoy the day and who's gonna' say he'll ever have another opportunity like that to go there again?"

Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown also agreed that Thomas should have gone out of respect if nothing else.



"I've been invited to the White House and I've gone. While I don't agree with everything the president does, you're going there out of respect for the president, regardless of who it is," said Brown, a Republican. "I would have gone, but Tim also has the right to express himself and stand up for the things he believes. That's the beauty of our country."

As the only American on the team, I believe Thomas not attending the ceremony reflected badly on the franchise, whether right or wrong.

Last but not least, I also want to say that it’s kind of funny how most of the NHL players that hail from European countries are grateful to be playing in the United States making millions of dollars and living lavish lifestyles, while our own American players act as though the world owes them something!

2 comments:

  1. Tim Thomas is not an idiot. An idiot wouldn't have enough political sense to make a decision that I'm sure he weighed carefully in his mind. Perhaps a better choice of words would've been more accurate. I'm a former sports writer, so I realize that words have meanings.

    ReplyDelete