Monday, March 19, 2012

Federer still elite? Ya’ think?

World No. 3 Roger Federer is 39-2 since last year's U.S. Open
 - and still elite !
I’m always amazed at how some so-called ‘tennis experts’ continue to question whether or not World No. 3 Roger Federer still has what it takes to win a grand slam title, mostly because the all-time career grand slam leader hasn’t won one since beating World No. 4 Andy Murray in the 2010 Australian Open final.

Well, I’m here to say what I’ve continued to say over the last two years.

Yes Federer still has what it takes to win grand slam titles – and then some if you ask me.

Now, with the game’s most regal-like player having recorded an insane 39-2 mark since the completion of the 2011 U.S. Open, many of Fed’s same critics are backtracking on their previous claims.

As Federer correctly pointed out, most of his detractors want to point to one thing as a sign of decline – and it’s not his on-court performances either.

"I think it's more the age that people always talk about right now. That's what stands out to me," Federer said following his win over world No. 1o John Isner at Indian Wells. "Some don't understand how you can play tennis at 30, which is shocking to me because normally that's when you're still young enough to play some of your best tennis. I think I'm showing that since I turned 30 in August. That's basically when my run began."

Eye On Sports expects Roger 
Federer to win a grand slam title in 2012.
30-years-old or not, all I see when Federer plays is a guy that still moves around the court like someone half his age – and if you haven’t heard the terminology before – it truly looks like Fereder is ‘floating’ most of the time instead of running (I know, amazing).

What I like most about Federer how much he genuinely loves the game of tennis, which is why I believe he’ll be able to maintain his level of play for at least the next half-decade.

"Sometimes people think so much in the short term," Federer said. "It's a bit unfortunate. But, it's nice that I'm putting together a lot of wins in a row at the moment and just that I have shown also great reaction after the tough loss I had against Djokovic at the U.S. Open, because obviously that hurt."

Now ask yourselves this Eye On Sports tennis fans.

Is there anything you’d put past Roger Federer?

No comments:

Post a Comment