Monday, February 27, 2012

My new hero … Randall Cunningham!

Cunningham, as a young
star for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Okay Eye On Sports readers, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m way too old to be ‘idol-worshipping’ any professional athlete like a wide-eyed teenager that is still hoping out some realistic hopes of making it in professional sports.

Cunningham and late son, Christian.
However, having said that, I am officially going on record right now to say that former NFL quarterback and now, ordained minister, Randall Cunningham, is not only my official sports ‘hero’ but that he should be every young athlete’s role model, particularly young African-American boys that may be under the impression that one they’ve made it to the pros, life will suddenly become easier.

Well, I am encouraging all young athletes – and their parents … (hell, let me just make that everyone) … to see ESPN’s E:60ultra-touching speciaon Cunningham, now the pastor of Remnant Ministires in Las Vegas.
Cunningham is now the pastor
of Remnant Ministries in Las Vegas.

Without giving too much of the video away, all I’m going to say is that Cunningham’s testimony, particularly that involving the recent death of his two-year old son Christian, is as powerful as anything I’ve ever witnessed and will undoubtedly help some folks think more about the ‘big picture’ than how much bling they’ve got and how much ‘paper’ they’re going to make.

Oh, yeah, I am now, officially, a huge Randall Cunningham fan – and I will be until the day I hit the dirt!

What are your thoughts on Randall Cunningham? Sound off in the comments section and have a great, sports-filled day!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:55 PM

    Thank you for posting this. Randall is the reason I'm an Eagles' fan. And as a fellow Christian, I am so happy to see someone who's vocal about his faith, NOT be labled as "pushy"; while being placed under the media's judgemental microscope, hoping to be there if/when he slips (see Tim Tebow). The strength some people are blessed with is truly amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was eager to get a gander at the special but,Mr.williams failed to mention when it airs.Randle has been,and always will be a huge inspiration.It doesn't even matter if he's retired from football.The way he played the game with a passion to win was huge,the way he ran a play from the snap of the ball,his leaps over people,the way he through a football to receivers in the NFL was almost a spiritual thing to watch,it was so graceful.My condolences for him having to go through such a tragedy,and i thank the NFL for playing East coast games on the West coast and thank god for giving us such a gift like Randle Cunningham

    "Live green,Bleed green,Choke green Go green"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara, there's a link to the ESPN website embedded in the video! However, you can just go to ESPN and go to the E:60 video section if you like.

      Delete