Friday, June 15, 2012

End of an era!


Did the Miami Heat bring Boston’s ‘big Three’ era to an unceremoniously end last week? Most basketball observers think so to some degree – and I agree. While I believe it’s of the utmost importance that Boston bring back unrestricted free agent Kevin Garnett, I can very well see the team losing sweet-shooting two guard Ray Allen. Allen may have finished up the 2011-12 season playing on a gimpy ankle, but he will undoubtedly be in high demand this summer and rightfully so.
 
Allen is arguably the best three-point shooter in the league today and that guarantees he will find a place on someone’s team even if it isn’t Boston. The Celtics definitely need to get younger and faster and that’s not Allen, though I would personally keep the aging Hall of Famer as his outside shooting will free up the interior for some team come next season.

Now, as far as the Celtics keeping ‘lifer’ Paul Pierce, I think this is a very dicey situation for the C’s. Pierce would probably like to retire as a Celtic and the Boston faithful definitely would like to see that happen. Pierce is under contract for another season, but if you ask me, I think he’s closer to the end than any of Boston’s Big Three after seeing his mostly mediocre performances all postseason.

 I have no idea at the moment what’s next for Celtics, but I definitely don’t see all three of Boston’s Hall of Fame trio returning to help the C’s nab another title in the near future, so yes, this was the end of an era in Boston sports lore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment