Wednesday, May 16, 2012

You go girl…Serena Williams is right about blue clay – and weenies!


World No.6 Serena Williams is still
the best WTA player in the world

You know Eye On Sports tennis lovers, I’ve got to say… I love me some Serena Williams!

Yes, I know a lot of tennis-loving folks that don’t particularly care for the younger Williams sister, but I understand why – and it makes me appreciate Williams and her mindset even more.

First and foremost racquet lovers, whether you want to ‘keep it real’ or not, the fact of the matter is that a lot of people don’t like Williams because she is confident, outspoken and doesn’t generally go along with ‘popular opinion’ as she speaks her mind on any given subject.

I mean, Williams is a black woman that’s not afraid to tell her detractors where to go, how to get there and where to get off (much like myself). Throw in the fact that she’s often unapologetic for her actions and you can at least begin to understand where all of the ‘hate’ comes from.

However, I’ve always been a ‘tell-it-like-it-is’ kind of guy that has also alienated my share of people – and like Williams – I’m not apologizing to anyone for how I may or may not feel about any particular subject.

Having said all of that, I wanted to take the time this morning to acknowledge Serena’s latest accomplishment – and controversy-causing statements that followed.

Serena Williams looked fantastic in winning the Madrid Open.
First off, let me just say that Williams is clearly the best player on the WTA Tour today no matter what the world WTA rankings say (Williams is ranked sixth). To see how easily she destroyed world No. 1 Victoria Azarenka in Saturday’s 6-1, 6-3 smackdown, tells me she is clearly the game’s best player – when she wants to be – and it’s not even close after seeing her latest destruction.

Now, moving on to even more important things, apparently a lot of folks in the tennis universe are upset about Williams’ latest controversy-causing statements following her win at the Madrid Open.

After hearing some incessant bitching (sorry, I don’t know what else to call it) from ATP world No. 3 Rafael Nadal and subsequently, world No. 1 Novak Djokovic about the Madrid Open’s blue clay being more slippery than traditional red clay, Williams made what I thought was a pretty accurate – and true statement when 13-time grand slam winner called the complaining pair “weenies”.

I mean, really, these two guys were crying like little babies while their respective opponents on the other side of the net were playing on the exact same surface.


When Williams was asked about all of the criticism from Djokovic and Nadal, she simply replied with what she believes is the truth – that women were simply tougher than their male counterparts – and I agree to a certain extent.

“Women are way tougher than men. That’s why we have the babies, you guys could never handle kids,” Williams said. “We ladies don’t complain we just do our best. On the WTA (tour) we are real performers, we are not about going out there and being weenies.”

I don’t know a single guy that has ever said he’d like to take on the pain of child-bearing – and the fact of the matter is that when I watch tennis, more often than not, it’s some male player bitching and moaning his way through a match while the females mostly, just play.

Djokovic and Nadal have both threatened to boycott the Madrid event next year unless the traditional red dirt is reinstalled, but I say, stay the hell home if you don’t like the surface.

The fact of the matter is that both, Nadal and Djokovic came off like, how shall I say it … ‘weenies’ with their constant complaining at this year’s Madrid Open.

If you don’t like Serena Williams for telling the truth, then that’s your problem, not hers!

Now on to the next tournament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment