Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I see the light, I see the light! Eating crow on Rajon Rondo!

Rajon Rondo's seriously consistent 
play has made a believer out of me. 
I stand corrected - Rondo is now,
undoubtedly, elite!

It was approximately just one month ago when I continued my career-long bashing of Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo by saying the Boston Celtics should trade their often enigmatic, split-personality floor leader in the hopes of rebuilding a team that is aging faster than Methuselah himself.

However, as I always say, I have to ‘keep it real’ at all times – even when it means eating some humble pie – like I’m about to right now.

Let me begin by saying that I was wrong about Rondo – and can now clearly see that the still-offensively limited point guard – is indeed, elite – even if he doesn’t score the ball the way some of the league’s other ‘elite’ floor leaders do.

Unlike many of today’s shoot-first point guard, Rondo prefers to get his teammates involved first – and that fact has had serious advantages for the Celtics – and Rondo’s mostly veteran teammates.

Rondo’s ability to find an open man and get him the ball in rhythm – is unsurpassed by any point guard in the league right now – and when you combine his often jaw-dropping passing ability with his outstanding on-ball defense and unmatched rebounding – you get an elite point guard.

Better yet for the Celtics is the fact that Rondo appears to have worked really hard on improving his glaring weakness – his inability to connect from the perimeter from beyond approximately 15 feet. Recently, Rondo has displayed a surprising ability to take – and make – several jumpers that have been in the 20-foot-plus range – and that should be a scary thought to point guards around the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment